Department Manager’s Grant Module is a macro-level management and tracking tool for helping organizations track and manage their active and pending grants. It is designed for organizations that have a significant amount of grant funding. This module is used to answer questions such as:
- How many of our pending grants may be awarded three months from now?
- Of these, which are competitive and which are non-competitive?
- Which are peer reviewed and which are non-peer reviewed?
- How does this break down by department, division, or Faculty member?
- How much grant support (FTE) does a faculty member currently have?
- How much funding does a faculty member have?
- Which grants are ending next month?
- How many grants were applied for or awarded last month? Last year?
- Which grants have IRB or IACUC approvals expiring next month?
- Which grants funded work that resulted in the generation of research publications?
- Who are the primary administrative and scientific contacts at the funding agency?
- When are our next financial and progress reports due?
This module generates various reports and data display screens to answer these and numerous other questions. Grant tracking reports allow users to retrieve previously entered information from the system and display, print, or export it in meaningful formats. Various report formats are available. Examples include Table reports, List reports, Notification, and Other Support Pages reports. Users can retrieve or sort information by Principal investigators, grant status, department, funding agency and other user defined criteria.
This powerful system is designed for departmental managers, central college and university administrators, and managers of independent research institutes. It includes features for the following:
- Managing Supporting Documentation (electronic document storage)
- Tracking Compliance Requirements (IACUC, IRB, IBC, Export Control, etc.)
- Tracking Funding Agency Reporting Deadlines and Requirements
- Generating Other Support / Current and Pending Support
- Tracking Research Publication (which grants produced them)
- Producing Reports for NCI Cancer Centers
- Tracking Investigator Effort
The Grant module includes multiple data entry screens that allow users to track over 200 variables per grant. These screens are organized with tabs that can be enabled or disabled to meet the needs of individual users. Examples of this information include:
- Grant status (active or pending)
- Principal investigators as well as their effort
- Funding agency (NIH, DOD, ERA, NSF, etc.)
- Proposal type (New, Competitive renewal, etc.)
- Award type (R01, PPG, K series, Training Grant, etc.)
- Where the grant is housed within your organization
- Budget and project periods
- Direct and indirect costs
- CFDA numbers
- Compliance information (IRB. IACUC, IBC, Export Control, etc.)
- Agency report due dates (Progress, Financial, Final, etc.)
- Research publications generated as a result of grant funding
- Salary commitments
- Cost Sharing, In-Kind and Matching funds
- Special Policies and Conditions
- Other user definable fields
Table Report - Sorted by Principal Investigator
This report is an example of one of many table report formats for displaying summary information for active, pending, terminated, or rejected grants. Information is presented in rows and columns and is printed with a landscape orientation. This version includes investigator name and effort on the grant as well as the funding agency, budget and project periods, account number, proposal number, agency number, department and division housing the grant, as well as the direct and total costs for the current budget period. Information is group and sub-totaled by investigator.
Table Report sorted by School, Department, then Division
This report is another example of a table report. It contains the same information as the Table Report sorted by Principal Investigator, but is sorted by Department and then Division housing the grant.
This report displays information formatted in a manner for use as the annual report for a department, school, or university. It includes the name of the principal investigator, funding agency, budget period, project period, and the Direct, Indirect, and Total Budget for each active grant.
Human Subjects IRB Approval Expiration Date Report
This report is used to alert administrators when the Human Subject IRB approval for individual grants is about to expire. It includes grant proposal number, principal investigator, funding agency, current budget period, title, and IRB expiration end date. Similar reports are available for grants using animal subjects, radioactive, biological, or hazardous chemicals.
Other Support Pages
This report provides grant information as needed for the generation of Other Support Pages for submission of an NIH (or other funding agency) grant. This example displays a modular format, which includes the agency number, principal investigator, project period, title, description, and role on the project of each active, pending, and recently completed grant for each investigator submitting the award. Information concerning any award overlap is also provided. Other standard formats are available in various fonts.
Space, Personnel, & Grants Analysis
This report consolidates information from the Grant, Space, and Personnel/ HR Modules for analyzing faculty research space requirements. It includes the name, appointing department, and total square foot of space assigned to individual faculty. This report also displays the supporting research staff assigned to each room and their total salaries as well as summary information for active and/or pending grants. Grant information includes the principal investigator, funding agency, agency number, account number, project period, annual direct budget and annual indirect budget. It also displays the faculty member’s effort on the grant and the amount of their salary paid by the grant.
Grant & Space Summary by Department & Division
Shows the total space and research space assigned to each division within a department. Also shows total grant funding for each division as well as the amount of direct cost per square foot of research space.
Grant & Space Summary by Investigator
Shows the name, title, total space and research space assigned to each faculty member. Also shows total grant funding for each faculty member as well as the amount of direct cost per square foot of research space. In this example, the report is sorted according to the amount of direct cost per square foot of research space.